sábado, 1 de março de 2014

Algés - Terreiro do Paço & Montijo - Montargil

Dear all,

 

I was feeling for quite a while now that I wanted to be back on the road and have a cycling trip.

I have bought recently a road bike and in order to be able to make the cycling trips I bought as well a trailer from Extrawheel.

I thought that would be possible to have Monday off, and that would allow me to visit my good friend Luis Gonçalves that lives in Fundao, but due to workload, it is not possible to have then Monday off. Nevertheless, I decided to make a 2 days trip following the same route but coming back to Lisbon from Vila Velha de Rodao, by train.

I planned to take the 8:00 or 9:00 boat from Terreiro do Paço to Montijo, but due to the lack of sleep on the previous days (work is killing me!) and the fact I went to Alfama to a Fado's house to celebrate my cousin's birthday, I totally overslept! I simply did not hear any noise from the alarm clock and I woke up at 9h30! Well, there was a boat at 11h, but I still had some things to pack.

Everything was done in a rush, but I did not forget loads of things, and I was able to catch the 11h00 boat.

In the boat to Montijo

Funny the fact that having a trailer attached to your bike makes more people to come to have a chat with you! I was still feeling too sleepy to think about pictures at that time.

 

As soon as I reached Montijo it was time to start cycling, as the Montargil Camping is slightly over 90km away.

The first few km close to Montijo
Peter Lamb back on the road!

The weather was rather dull, totally overcast, some rain showers from time to time but not too serious. I was lucky enough not to have the wind against me.

After about 30km, i found a good spot for a break and have some canned tuna.

Bike and tuna waiting for me
A close up

After the break there was just time for some more pictures:

Peter Lamb needing haircut :)
With the new trailer

As the weather was just horrible (really made me think why I just haven't stayed at home! Eheheh), there was not much mood for pictures. I switched the radio on and had enough time to disconnect from the world and just enjoy cycling. The pace was looking pretty good ( there is a huge difference for the touring bike).

Another break, and I seized the chance to call my parents and tell them that I am still alive!!

Peter Lamb having a break

Sometimes the views were quite nice:

On the way to Coruche
Peter Lamb on the road

I was feeling more and more in the middle of nowhere:

Middle of nowhere saluts you!

I was quite lucky to find a snack bar with free wifi and stayed there for a while. It was raining quite a lot at that time, I was still about 23 km away from the camping and legs were starting to hurt :)

Arrived to the spot just before the rainfall

In Montargil there is a dam and it looks quite good, but the weather was just terrible.

Peter Lamb in Montargil dam

The camping is on the left bank of the dam, about 7 km away from this place.

The camping is very good, has a swimming pool that should be great in a few months time.

Peter Lamb after shower, ready for dinner!

I had dinner at the camping's restaurant and the meal was quite good. Cabbage soup and pork chops with chips, rice and tomato salad.

Dinner time
Main course!

The staff is also very nice amd we chatted a bit. Cheers Inês!

All the info's with the route can be checked here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453397510 (Alges -Terreiro do Paco)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453397481 (Montijo - Montargil)

 

Total distance of the day: 101,17km

Total time travelling: 4h56m05s

 

Well, I am way too tired now. Time to rest! Cold tent is waiting!!!

 

That's all for now folks!

 

Best,

Peter

 

1 comentário:

  1. Querido maninho, fiquei tão contente por teres partido mais uma vez à aventura e partilhado connosco este fim de semana, metereologicamente impeditivo para uns e desafiador para outros como tu. Peter Lamb: és o maior! "Tenho orgulho, orgulho..."
    A mana que te adora

    ResponderEliminar