quarta-feira, 28 de agosto de 2013

Day 18 - Skulte - Parnu

Dear all,

 

Today I have beaten my cycling distance record! But we'll get to that later! I knew that, after a day like yesterday, I would need to pay the price today!

The day did not start really early in the morning, but I went for a swim in the Baltic sea. The water is quite warm, if you ask me!

Beach in Baltic sea, no waves!

I spoiled myself with a decent breakfast at camping's restaurant (I knew that a long day was expecting me!). For breakfast I had apple juice, eggs and cheese, tomato and bread.

After the breakfast I returned to the beach for a picture!

PeterLamb flying over the Baltic Sea

I started cycling in quite good pace! I felt totally rested!

Cycling on A1, Latvia

From the camping to the border with Estonia were about 60km. I stopped for some grocery shopping and have a meal (I was already missing sausages, cheese, bread and bananas!). They had internet at the grocery shop, but the lady said they don't know the password, but she suggested to find the library, where I could access to the internet. Sorry folks, I don't really remember the place where it was!

Road towards library

I had lunch, got to see the news and some mails from working mates (cheers guys), but I had no answer from the couchrequests I have sent the evening / night before. Well, I had to start thinking about one more night at a camping...

When I was about to pack the things, I got a mail from Diana. She could host me in Parnu, but she would only be home about 21h. I answered back, that I was still about 82km away (with already 40 on my legs, so the timming was more than perfect for me)! Well, great news!!!

Back to cycling, sometimes it is possible to cycle paralel to the main road:

I was approaching the end of Latvia:

10km for leaving Latvia
Last meters in Latvian lands!

Well, I crossed the border without taking a picture of it, so I needed to cycle back in order to register the moment! Mr Lamb, mr Lamb, what were you thinking about??

Half of bike already in Estonia!
Don't like the picture, but yeah, Estonia border!
Not the best picture, but yeah, Peter Lamb entering Estonia!

As soon as you cross the border you realize why Estonia is considered a cycling paradise:

Turning into cycling routes, Estonia

The roads are very nice, almost without traffic, and navigation is really easy, just be attentive at crossings, if does not say anything keep straight ahead:

Just follow the sign
Cycling on cycle route 1

Usually the villages looks nice, people do care about their yards and from all the people I saw cycling on the opposite direction of mine, waved me back!

I like this house!

There is a significative number of campings on the way, that does not appear on the maps, and it was tempting to stop at some point, around 95km. But I kept the plan and wanted to arrive to Parnu today!

The 100 km milestone came:

Cruising at 27 km/h, 100 km on the legs!

After some more kilometers, the cycling route 1 joins again the main road:

Back to main road, cycling route 1
You can choose to stay on main road or go on gravel road

After a while appeared the signs of todays destination, so time for the picture of the day:

Me arriving to Parnu

Parnu is the so called summer capital of Estonia!

The cycling route 1 takes you through some neighborhood, avoiding the main road. Some houses do look very nice:

Large windows they have in here!
Not only cycling route 1 passes in here!

Finding Diana's house was not difficult at all. I was about to send her a message when a boy apprached me and started to talk to me. When he was asking me if I would be sraying at this place, I answered that I think so, if this is the right address. He confirmed that yes! Oh, do you know the person who's living here? Yes, it is my mum!

We stayed talking for a while, the Diana arrived and we had some nice time chatting and watching some of my trip pictures.

Time for picture!

With my hosts in Parnu - Diana and her son Chris

Time then for some planning of my trip tomorrow and write this post for the blog! It was a long day folks!

 

Summary of the day:

  • Daily distance: 134,25 km (YES!)
  • Daily time: 6h45m11s
  • Average speed: 20,05km/h (YES!)
  • Maximum speed: 34,51 km/h

 

  • Total traveled so far: 1045,54 km (YES!)
  • Total time cycling: 58h46m42s

 

And that is all for now folks!

 

Best,

Peter

 

 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário