sábado, 17 de agosto de 2013

Day 7 - Kaunas - Vilnius

Dear all,

 

Yesterday night I have made my last efforts to find a host in Vilnius. I have sent a bunch more couchrequests but is being difficult to get some answers.

My day has started waaay early in the morning because I needed to leave Zita's house when she would be leaving for for work. That means that I would be leaving at 6h20 sharp :) So, the alarm clock woke me up at 5h55!

I have contacted another couchsurfer called Rasa, the day before, and due to the fact she was having a day-off we settled to have breakfast together. Of course not at 7h, but we settled for 8h at her place. She has baked a delicious cake and we spent sometime talking about our trips and looking at some pictures.

It was then time to leave, and after stopping at post-office to send some postcards, we were waiting for the bus that would take me to Vievis (it is not a good idea to cycle on the road that connects Kaunas and Vilnius - it is motorway and is simply to far from Kaunas till Vilnius passing through Trakai).

Me and Rasa waiting for bus

Well, the bus came and the driver said that he would not take me because his bus would not take bikes. We asked him why, and he replied that he is already taking a bike. Don't you have more space? Yes... I said that I really needed to take this bus and after what I believe that was a start of argue in Lithuanian between Rasa and the bus driver, I could take the bike as a luggage... Thank you so much for your time, help and breakfast Rasa! Cheers!!!

After arriving into Vievis I needed about 15 minutes to settle the bike and fix it, because the bus driver treated her really bad. One wheel cover bended, the dynamo wires out of place and the handlebar not straight. Well, cycling is to enjoy slowly as well (I think that average today was somehow slow).

Road between Vievis and Trakai

I have to write you a post about how difficult it is sometimes to make navigation... Here on the posts everything seems smooth. For instance, instead of opening the map or Ipad I asked 2 girls where shoulf I go to head to Trakai. They pointed in opposite directions!! Needless to say, I open the maps just in front of them!!

On the way to Trakai

Trakai is about 18 km away from Vievis. I was a bit hungry, so specially the uphills were a bit more difficult. I have learned my lesson and I bought some extra things to have somewhere when I need.

Also it is important to say that this country is quite different from Portugal. You can pass several villages without a coffe, a supermarket or an ATM! Better be prepared :)

Trakai castle
PeterLamb@Trakai

After this I went to library (biblioteka, in Lithuanian) to see if I had a mail from Couchsurfing with a host, but not really. So, I have returned to the road to go to Vilnius.

Entering Vilnius

After this picture and untill arriving to the very centre of town, is quite ugly city. I was expecting more, for the capital.

Cyclepath in Vilnius centre
Electrical powered bus

After reaching the centre, an hotspot for wifi and checking that nothing has changed regarding the hosting, I headed to the camping ( that is just a parcel of grass, with a fence all around and some containers for reception, laundry, toilets and showers).

Camping in Vilnius

I will pass through the town tomorrow once more.

 

Summary of the day:

  • Daily distance: 60,41 km
  • Daily time: 3h50m42s
  • Aversage speed: 15,94 km/h
  • Maximum speed: 51,93 km/h

 

  • Total distance cycled so far: 313,32 km
  • Total time on bike : 17h42m15s

And that is all for now folks!

 

Best,

Peter

 

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário