terça-feira, 13 de agosto de 2013

Day 3 - Warsaw - Augustów

Dear all,

 

The day started waaaaay early in the morning. Alarm clock has woke me up at 6h10!! Well, we must seize the first day of holidays, right?

Weather looks good: sunny but a bit chilly (good for cycling)

Ready to go
Cycling in Warsaw
Warsaw landmark

Warsaw landmark

I headed to Warswawa Centralna, the main train station in Warsaw. It was only about 3,4 km away from Marta's house, but a bit uphill was enough to warm up :)

I bought the ticket to sokólka and looked for the platfom where I should board the train.

7h22 train to Sestokai
 

When I reached Sokólka it was time for a picture:

Peter Lamb at Sokólka

I took the 673 road towards Lipsk. I do like Polish homes and I passed through some nice examples that Imwould like to show you. Unfortunatly I kept saying to myself that I would have a picture to the next one and after Lipsk there is simply no more houses on the way...

Countryside in Poland looks roughly like this:

Countryside Poland
Self picture at the start of cycling

I stoped at a grocery shop at Dabrowa Bialostocka to buy 2 banana and some marmelade cookies for energy.

After having a 15 minutes break an old man came to talk to me in Polish. I could talk to him just a bit, to explain where I was heading but then, my Polish was not any longer good to talk more. Anyway, it was nice of him to come to talk to me.

 

After Lipsk it is indicated the distance towards Augustow. i was surprised that 32 km were missing from that point. I turned left on road 664. After a few curves and some uphill, the road is completely straight for some kilometers. Fortunatly I had some music because is pretty much boring.

Endless road towards Augustow

When I have cycled 77 km I saw the sign of Augustow:

Reaching Augustow

What I had no idea was that the city only starts about 5 km from that place and my host, Sarah, house is about 9km away.

I stopped at "the beach" for some picture:

Bike on the beach

After reaching Sarah's home I had a shower, washed the clothes and we went to the lake to see the view and talk :)

Augustow is a really beautiful place, with several lakes and a lot of water sports.

Augustow
Me and Sarah in Augustow

After the nice walk, we headed home for dinner (very good pasta with Pesto and tomato and lettuce salad with Mozzarela cheese).

Sarah, Thank you so much for your kind hosting, for the company for walking and for the lovely dinner. I feel bad that I just brought a small gift and no food nor drink. You are more than welcome to Lisbon, where I will be more than happy to host you, show you around and cook for you!

 

Numbers of the day:

  • Daily distance: 86,06 km
  • Daily time: 4h51m53s
  • Average speed: 17,85 km/h
  • Maximum speed: 43,29 km/h

 

  • Total distance travelled: 98,89 km
  • Total time cycling:5h36m00s

And that is all for now folks!

 

Best,

Peter

 

2 comentários: