quinta-feira, 15 de agosto de 2013

Day 6 - Kaunas

Dear all,

This post is starting with Lithanian flag. I do like to take pictures of flags and this one, Imsomehow like the result:

Lithuanian flag

So, the day 6 was a rest day in Kaunas.

I spent all my day with my host Zita, met other couchsurfer from Kaunas and Gintare joined us in the evening. We went by bus to Lithanian open air museum, about 30 km away from Kaunas. Weather was good and sometimes quite warm.

Me and my host Zita at the open air museum

This open air museum tries to show a bit of the history of Lithuania, specially the housing of Lithuania in diferent regions since the 19th century. It was also a zone dedicated to the memories of the Russian occupation from 1940 and how they were deported to Russia for work and some to be shot to dead. Impressive to figure it out that over 410.000 peolpe have been deported!

Deportation trains to Russia

For the lunch we had some kind of traditional hamburger with potato and cabbage. I think it is called Kotelete.

Linch time!

Back to Kaunas, we were supposed to meet other Couchsurfing member at about 17h45m, so we had time for a walk till a very old church of Kaunas.

Old church, Kaunas

It was then time to meet the other girl, but on the way there was time to buy the traditional postcards.

PeterLamb@Kaunas

After we met the other Couchsurfer, we went to a view point on top of a big church, but to be honest, I did not like the pictures that I took from there, so here you have just one:

Sporas - viewpoint from top of church

After that we went for some restaurant to try some traditional soup. The soup is perfect for summer, as it is served cold. Very tasty indeed!

That is what I call a pink soup

The other COuchsurfer left us after this meal and we headed to the castle and to the rivers junction.

With Kaunas castle
The 2 biggest rivers in Lithuania junction

After that we went to the centre for some more sightseeing and to grab something more to eat and have a drink with Zita's friend, Gintare.

Cityhall, Kaunas
Zita and Gintare

Thank you so much Zita and Gintare for your time and company in Kaunas. You are more than welcome in Lisbon!

 

And that is all for now folks!

 

Best,

Peter

 

4 comentários:

  1. Dear Peter, Nice to read your adventures. We get tired only reading it. o you ever take a day off? It is holiday after all.....
    Love Cor & Carla

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Dears Cor & Carla,

      I took a day off today ( no, I did not go to work!!) but already miss to be on the road again :)

      Thank you for being there!

      Love,
      Peter

      Eliminar
  2. This pink soup is called "Šaltibarščiai". I think I forgot to write it for you :)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Hey Zita!!

      Thank younso much, I will upload it soon when I can do it easily :)

      Best,
      Peter

      Eliminar